A small kitchen is like a small suitcase, where you need to fit a huge amount of things, and this task seems impossible. But everything is possible: the main thing is to understand the basic rules of organizing a compact kitchen space.
Mini-kitchen is characterized by exemplary organization, because it has no other way out, otherwise there will be nowhere to “turn around”. A small space is easier to furnish, decorate and clean – look how many pluses. The only thing that matters is to make good use of them.
Modest areas require ingenuity in the design of space. Someone joins and insulates the loggia to make room for a dining table, and someone contrives to build a microwave oven in the hall closet or change the classic door to a sliding door.
Zoning the space
- The easiest way to expand a small kitchen space is to use the space only for cooking and storing food, and move the dining area into the room;
- You can, as we said, change the usual door between the kitchen and the room to a sliding version or remake the opening into an archway.
A small kitchen can be expanded by properly selected furniture.
- For a narrow kitchen is suitable for a linear layout – the headset is built along one wall. The main points – refrigerator, stove, working area and sink – follow each other, and the dining table can be placed at the opposite wall;
- In a square kitchen, it is more rational to use a corner layout – the “working triangle” rule. For this purpose, the stove, refrigerator and sink are placed according to the principle of three corners. When arranging the kitchen is very useful to use this rule in the area where most often moves a person engaged in cooking. Take this important advice to note and make sure that the lines forming a triangle, were not cluttered and really formed the desired shape, not located on a straight line. The length of the sides of the work triangle is also important – the flatter they are, the more convenient it is to use the kitchen;
- Furniture when choosing both layouts should be multifunctional. Compensate for the lack of space with retractable work surfaces, shelves-transformers, folding tables. You can buy folding chairs that are easy to remove or hang on the wall. A super idea for a small kitchen – transparent chairs made of polycarbonate. A good option – benches and poufs with built-in drawers;
- For those who like to keep a stock of cereals and a large number of dishes, it is worth to use the height and make an additional tier to the ceiling;
- As for the doors on the kitchen fronts, it is recommended to refuse hinged versions. To save space will help folding, lifting and hinged doors.
- A narrow windowsill can be used as a tabletop, a bar counter, a coffee table or a folding dining table;
- This solution dictates the choice of short curtains. If you are fans of classic textiles, it is recommended to use synthetic fabrics with fireproof and water-repellent impregnation. Also, the window can be decorated with Roman blinds or blinds. For protection from sunlight, roller blinds made of bamboo are perfect;
- If there is a radiator under the window sill, then in the table top it is necessary to make a hole for air circulation to avoid the formation of mold on the furniture.
- Large household appliances should be placed under the countertop. In addition, it makes sense to choose mini appliances – a cooktop with two burners and a narrow washing machine and dishwasher;
- A great alternative to an oven and stove is such multifunctional appliances as a multicooker, aerogrill and microwave;
- A refrigerator can be placed in the pantry or hidden in a closet, turning it into a divider between the kitchen and the room.
Color and texture
No matter how much designers argue on the subject of ideas for a small kitchen, all agree on one thing – small kitchen rooms should be made as light as possible.
- White shade will fill even the most unattractive place with light and visual space. Use shades from snowy white to ivory, and combine matte and glossy surfaces and different materials, such as brick, wood and glass;
- For rooms with low ceilings suitable light wallpaper in rhombus or vertical stripes, making the space visually higher. Wallpaper with a vertical pattern in the form of trees on one wall will look interesting;
- Horizontal stripes on one of the walls will visually expand the narrow room;
- Change the perception of a small kitchen will help and photo wallpaper with perspective: choose an image of a city street or forest path;
- Do not forget about the “magic power” of mirrors. You can use them to decorate the kitchen apron or hang one of them opposite the window or above the table;
- Kitchen fronts should be glossy – they reflect light perfectly and expand the space;
- If you find the light interior too boring, add accents. As an example, choose furniture with bright doors or spectacular eye-catching curtains. You can also decorate the kitchen with colorful dishes and towels.
- Use laminate and tiles to decorate the floor. Designers recommend placing the flooring in a square room diagonally, in a narrow floor is decorated transversely.
- For ceiling coverings use stretch and suspended ceilings, plastic panels and classic plaster.
In a small kitchen, it is very important to properly distribute lighting to make it both beautiful and safe for cooking. At first glance, it seems easy to light a mini space, but you can’t just use one lamp.
- You should choose several lighting scenarios – for the working area it should be maximized, because the cooking process is going on there. Install several spotlights or rotating spots (lamps for organizing directional lighting) – this will allow you to illuminate the desired surface;
- In the center of the ceiling or above the dining area will look harmoniously a small model of chandelier with downward directed light. If when choosing the texture of the ceiling you will give preference to gloss, then such a union will be especially advantageous with the light of the lamp directed upwards;
- A good option – several lamps with adjustable height. Light also carries a decorative “load” and is a decoration of the kitchen space;
- Decorative illumination of cabinets helps you quickly find what you need and looks spectacular, and the illuminated from below garniture visually increases the space. In such a light design, the cabinets will create an effect of weightlessness and floating in space.
Simple and useful knick-knacks
- Small kitchen rooms can be visually enlarged by a monochrome wall finish in combination with inserts of wood, stone and decorative plaster;
- Choose kitchen fronts close to the color of the walls;
- Zonize the kitchen room with lighting – this will increase its visual size and make it more effective;
- Glossy facades of white and light colors visually increase the space and look expensive;
- For a small kitchen space, cabinets up to the ceiling are suitable. In them you can build a refrigerator, oven and microwave oven. Dishwasher should choose a narrow (45 cm), and if there is no room for standard 60×60 cm, the sink and stove can also be made already;
- Abandoning the dining group in favor of a bar countertop is a good option for a small kitchen space;
- Avoid large hoods that take up a lot of space;
- Use the narrow space between the refrigerator, wall and stove with a cabinet to store canned goods, sauces and spices;
- Utilize the space above the door, refrigerator and work surfaces by hanging extra shelves;
- Use magnetic boards to mount knives to the wall.
- Revitalize and decorate the interior of a cozy kitchenette is simply necessary, but do not overdo it. Quite enough will be a few plants, a couple of posters, a clock made of glass in the form of a cup and beautiful dishes.
When we talk about the arrangement of a small kitchen, a very important issue is the selection of a specific interior style. The best answer and solution will be the interior in the styles of minimalism, loft, high-tech and Provence.
Design of a small kitchen in different styles
“Perfect cleanliness” and simple correct lines – the motto of a small minimalist kitchen. It is this interior that maximizes the space.
- Minimalism suggests combining plastic, metal and glass – no wood and stone elements;
- To decorate the walls are suitable shades of white, light gray and light blue – a neutral, cold palette. Wallpaper will have to say “no”, as they are suitable only for “cozy” interiors, and therefore designers suggest using paint, plaster and paneling plastic;
- The ceiling can be painted white or made stretch;
- On the floor will look good tiles of the same neutral, cool shades, light parquet or laminate;
- Ceramics is ideal and for the design of the apron, as an option, you can use organic glass;
- Furniture fronts should be simple, without frills. From the decor of the furniture should be only glossy shine and chrome elements;
- In general, you should exclude traditional natural furniture. Choose futuristic options made of white plastic or Plexiglas (organic glass). Beautifully looking tables with a glass table top. In this interior will look organically kitchen corner made of eco-leather.
- Walls with imitation rough finishes and open communications are ideal for a loft-style interior. A brick wall will look harmonious and stylish;
- The layout of the kitchen with the addition of a balcony or loggia will provide the room with an abundance of light;
- As an option, choose a white kitchen set with a dark countertop – this solution will visually increase the space. The shade of the walls should be a few tones darker than the ceiling. For flooring is perfect for laminate of light wood color with a scuff effect;
- For lighting loft suitable track (movable) lamps, conveniently adjusting the level of brightness of light;
- In general, the traditional color solution in the loft is a game of contrasts of gray and cold shades with warm red brick walls. In lining the walls of a small space apply decorative plaster under concrete, paint, brick or mosaic;
- For the “attic” kitchen is characterized by open beams on the ceiling. It is recommended to make a false beam from plasterboard and cover it with decorative plaster. As a decoration will look spectacularly lamps on the wires;
- With brickwork on the wall or plaster will also look good with a plain concrete ceiling;
- Furniture fronts should be chosen from solid wood and MDF under wood, as well as muted monochrome. Effectively look facades of bright colors of dirty shades.
This style is synonymous with modernity.
- Walls should be painted in restrained and cold shades, for example, in light gray or white, also allowed monochrome or with a minimalist pattern of wallpaper;
- Another interesting solution can be the facing of walls with artificial stone or the use of architectural concrete;
- The most actual variant of the ceiling – stretch glossy canvas: the game of glare will make the interior lighter and lighter. You can involve and classic plasterboard;
- In terms of appearance, the floor should be well combined with the ceiling and walls. You should choose materials of the same color or contrasting, laminate or parquet, imitating wood. You can use other options: ceramic tiles, concrete, porcelain tiles;
- Steel, glass, concrete and plastic are used for finishing. The surfaces of these materials perfectly reflect light, which is necessary for a small kitchen.
- To equip the kitchen in the style of high-tech, it means to use metal and glass in the finish – apron of mirror panels or stainless steel panels will be a great solution for a small space;
- Furniture in the interior of the kitchen is desirable to use the same color and with straight outlines. The material traditional for this style is plastic, glass and steel. Attractive appearance of the headset will provide a glossy surface.
Provence style design will give your kitchen the charm of romantic France, simplicity and coziness. The atmosphere of a cute “grandmother’s” kitchen is perfectly felt in the photo.
- For a small kitchen, it is better to choose the usual finishing of the walls – paint them in pastel shades, paste them with neutral wallpaper or simply plaster them. Maximum light gentle tones reflect the landscapes of this beautiful region;
- For the ceiling is suitable classic plaster, beams or plasterboard, on which you can create the illusion of ceiling beams;
- It is recommended to decorate the floor with tiles with natural colors, porcelain tiles and decorative stone;
- The highlight of the “Provence” kitchen will be the decoration and furniture, as if burned out under the hot sun. Here to your choice of a wide pastel palette: light beige, sandy, blue, pink, olive tones;
- Also organic for Provence furniture with artificially aged wood or MDF fronts of traditional light color. Provence furniture allows fronts with paintings and glass inserts;
- But if you do not like the “shabby” look, classic light-colored fronts with carvings will do. Traditional abundance of open shelves is contraindicated – maximum one or two, otherwise you will get a cluttered space. The atmosphere of Provence will be perfectly complemented by pots with lavender.
- For the apron is suitable tile “boar” light color or brickwork.
In conclusion, I would like to say that the main thing in the interior design of a small kitchen is the magical effect of white color and its shades on the space and the ability to rationally use every “square centimeter”.